Monday 18 July 2016

Insomniac

Can't sleep, eyes feeling heavy
No light, no sound, lying here motionless
Mind racing, on one notion he is steady
Without his baby, his child He feels less.
Screaming, a storm of emotion crashes in his mind
Meanwhile, he sits there complacent, hardly feeling alive.
See its not about your feeling, those you bury deep inside
People here they don't care to see you cry.

Every night people will fall asleep
'Cept me, listening to I'm a creep
In the dark, I see I'm all alone
My ears tuned to hear Like A Stone
Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not
They muted the volume, ignoring the rot.

Big blue sky hides A pitless black
Hanging over me, disguised by the sun
How many sleepless nights? I've lost track
Spinning the same cycle, I'm beetlebum
Broken down, I've got no on, nobody.
Who could be up, this hour of the night?
To think, to learn, to dream, has been my folly
The fear is building, my chest grows tight.

Every night people will fall asleep
'Cept me, sitting by a bathroom sink
In the dark I see I'm all alone
No message or call ever reaches my phone
Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not
Decided already, my burial plot.

His head, fixated on his flesh and blood
Her eyes, her smile, used to think it was him
his features torn by a tsunami, a flood
Kept from her, can it be, can she see?
This forlorn, sad excuse for a dad
Blinded, he imagines what her life is, will be
"What Not To Be," he is the ad.
Ankles broken, he "stands on his knees"

Every night people will fall asleep
Into dreams and fantasy others leap
But here is his chronic, a living nightmare
Must have a sign on which reads BEWARE
Existing, invading other people's worlds'
This shadow has earned occasional pearls.
A rental body, in rented space
Its been two months since he had a date
With his child, the one he is calling for
Knocking loudly, no one answers the door
Lying on his back, in his dark hole
They fill it, but moving real slow
Only 24, they won't kill him quick
That's not they're game, that's not they're trick
Every day without her he feels buried, alive...?
No one knows. Listen close, you can hear his last sigh.

Balor O'Brien

No comments: