Tuesday 2 August 2016

Insurance companies are killing us!

"Ah shur that would be doing something the right way. Have you ever seen them do anything the right way."

A beautiful expression I heard in the end of July 2016. It struck a chord with me. Do we realise the power that lies in this statement? It is an admission of our acceptance of failure.
One phrase to capture the essence of failure. The failure of our institutions. Structures built to serve society.

 Let us put it simply. There is a right and wrong way to do things. Okay fair enough, life can be more complicated than that. But isn't it also true that when people do wrong they are so busy saying how its complicated that the problem remains on the floor while we play the blame game. So can we please focus on just asking ourselves: "Have I done the right thing?"

This isn't going to be a long post. It is about you! Why are we allowing and accepting failure? It isn't just a regular occurrence. We have built a system of pre-accepted failure. We can only celebrate the brave when they have died. But all of this can serve for later posts. Today the focus is the expression of our wrongs in the area of insurance.

The recent example I have of this is motor insurance. Now I'm sure everyone has a grievance in this.
Last week I heard some men in a bar discussing how it has increased outrageously in the past year. Let us be realistic, this is critical. They spoke of a woman on the radio stating she had been quoted five thousand for her car insurance. I didn't believe a word. I thought she must have a new, expensive vehicle to warrant such a ridiculous sum.

Later the same week wasn't I eating my words as I scrambled to sort my own insurance. The first company I called went through all my circumstances Blah blah. What was I quoted? 5,051.67!!
To give context my car is 8 years old, not modified, I have no convictions, no claims, and it is a Ford Focus, petrol.

Needless to say I was lost for words on the phone. A deep panic set upon me. I was terrified that I would be crushed for insurance, which, by the way is already set at absurd heights.
Now they say "Oh we have costs and pay outs to all these false claims."
:et me say something for them! We know there are these cases, you have factored this already into your business. Every single driver on the roads pays every year a HUGE amount of money for something that (thankfully) a minority needs. They want us to focus our anger on the scammers (and we should). But why is it that when they x3 insurance and make EVERYONE pay more we are expected to sit, doe-eyed and passive as they laugh, extorting us.

Think of you own a car, if you need it for work, need it for your kids, need it to visit family then I have something to tell you. They own you! When you mumble about it into a glass, pay the quote and leave it at that, you are letting them walk all over you. You are setting a precedent which they are already getting ready to exploit. Next year they will do you for more. They will do your family and friends for more.

Before you go would you do one thing for me? Share this post, like it, +1 it or something else to show you object to extortionate insurance.

Balor O'Brien (angry customer)

No comments: