Sunday 14 August 2016

Forget the Past

Sitting in the kitchen, perched on a chair
Same situation, in someone else's lair
Such a bad habit, comparing old with the new
Living in paradise, how the time flew
In a boardroom, set for interview
Nervous tapping, my glasses askew
Wondering how long will this last?
New place, new start, forget the past.

Keeping old calendars. Rain in reverse.
Storing past diaries. Memories to nurse.
Happy smiley pictures, that curse and curse
Wishing I could say this is only the first
Endless repeating, it is shredding my soul
Why does Santa only leave me coal?
No more reminising. Start being in the shoal.
Looking to the future is my only goal.

The pain, it blinds, it burns, it cuts too deep.
A lamb being skinned for it's fleece!
Of course no one will ever ask
For them the past remains the past.
They're moving on, driving forward.
The future has no time to look backward.

Losing all my loved ones, it burns inside
With so many enemies, it's time to hide
The present or the future, which I can't decide
Imagination, freedom, or falling in line?
When does reality return to the world?
To survive this fiction, in our shells we are curled
Terrifying visions, what may come to pass
Autocratic powers, trapped in the shadows they cast

In a field of dreams, we run from terror
A shifting guise. Can we see it? Never
Forget what's old, bring in the new
Us people today, we haven't a clue
Chasing Amy or chasing toads
Looking for the same thing in different modes
What has been we can't recall
Into the future we clambour and fall
History has us blind with pain
Only I seem to feel the rain
In this piece notice, I hate refrain
Is it clear? No? Let me explain
In a raging storm, tied to a mast
On the seas of time, now forget your past

Befuddled? Yes? Confused? Of Course!
It's time you read my rhymes in reverse

Balor O'Brien

No comments: